[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59847: Since WordPress 6.4, the functions.php of a theme moved to a different location using register_theme_directory is no longer called

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 8 22:46:24 UTC 2023

#59847: Since WordPress 6.4, the functions.php of a theme moved to a different
location using register_theme_directory is no longer called
-----------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  partyfrikadelle  |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by coreyw):

 @joemcgill further digging here. `get_raw_theme_root` seems to be part of
 the issue.

 {{{#!php
 if ( ! is_array( $wp_theme_directories ) || count( $wp_theme_directories )
 <= 1 ) {
         return '/themes';
 }
 }}}

 If I comment out that `return '/themes';` line, everything works. Before
 `after_setup_theme`, `$wp_theme_directories` only contains one entry, the
 custom one we registered. After, it contains the default directory and our
 custom one. I wonder why that conditional is there in the first place.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59847#comment:15>