[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49971: Add get_admin_locale() that is separate from WPLANG / get_locale() / get_user_locale()

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 18 08:32:11 UTC 2023

#49971: Add get_admin_locale() that is separate from WPLANG / get_locale() /
get_user_locale()
 Reporter:  apedog       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature      |      Status:  new
  request                |

Comment (by apedog):

 Replying to [comment:12 Marc4]:
 > I can't understand what sense it would make for a user to have three
 languages active at the same time.
 I'd like to point out that this ticket is mostly relevant to RTL sites.
 Having a dashboard language that is not the site language is meant to
 avoid mixed RTL/LTR reports (update mails sent out etc.)
 Reports are not sent using a user's language. They are generated using the
 site's language. So they are commonly mixed RTL/LTR - which is simply
 unreadable.
 Obviously, a user's settings should override the dashboard language
 settings for that user.

 Example 1:
 Hebrew front language. All visitors see a Hebrew RTL site.
 English dashboard language. Default dashboard and report language is LTR
 (perhaps toolbar on front also).
 Russian user language. Dashboard for specific user is Russian - overriding
 dashboard language for that user (and also admin-bar on front when logged
 in)

 Example 2:
 Hebrew front language. All visitors see a Hebrew RTL site.
 English dashboard language. Default dashboard and report language is LTR.
 Hebrew user language. Dashboard for specific user is Hebrew (same as front
 language). Default non-user specific reports/mail are still LTR and
 readable.

 I don't think user roles should have separate language settings.
 Front language.
 Dashboard language.
 User personal language.

 > in the case of an administrator user, he would simply not have the
 option to change the language of his user.
 User should always have the option to tailor their personal experience
 using the site.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49971#comment:13>