[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt Text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 12 22:13:04 UTC 2023

#55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt
Text
-------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  eatingrules              |       Owner:  joedolson
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by carolinescribely):

 Thanks, Joe. I thought I had responded and looks like the comment didnt
 post.

 Good question @audrasjb. Yes, alt text does depend on the surrounding
 context. The ideal use case is to show the embedded alt text and allow WP
 users to accept/edit the description. There are a few good reasons for
 doing this. First, it gives users a place to start their descriptions from
 - always easier to adapt than create from scratch. Second, the alt text
 may come from the original creator or source provider and provide helpful
 information about how to accurately describe the image. Third, the alt
 text can be imported from an outside source/database managed by the host
 of the website. The idea with this ticket is to put the plumbing in place
 to preserve and pass any existing descriptive text through, and then allow
 users to adapt the alt text as needed. Let me know if there are any
 additional questions or comments on contextual descriptive text.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55535#comment:36>