[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58287: "The server cannot process the image" error, set_imagick_time_limit() and WP 6.2

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 10 15:51:53 UTC 2023

#58287: "The server cannot process the image" error, set_imagick_time_limit() and
WP 6.2
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  delitestudio    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  General         |    Version:  6.2
 Severity:  major           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 On many of our sites, managed on different machines and with different
 configurations, with version 6.2 of WordPress, when uploading images we
 often get this error:

 "The server cannot process the image. This can happen if the server is
 busy or does not have enough resources to complete the task. Uploading a
 smaller image may help. Suggested maximum size is 2560 pixels."

 Nothing appears in the `debug.log`, but analyzing the issue -which had
 never occurred before WordPress 6.2- we realized that it seems to be due
 to the new `set_imagick_time_limit()` method of the
 `WP_Image_Editor_Imagick` class.

 Maybe the value `0.8 * $php_timeout` is that a bit too conservative? Maybe
 it could be made hookable?