[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58286: Growing database due to unnecessary transients containing "g_url_details_response_"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 10 13:44:03 UTC 2023

#58286: Growing database due to unnecessary transients containing
"g_url_details_response_"
 Reporter:  davidki       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Database      |    Version:  6.2
 Severity:  critical      |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I created 2 external links in the block editor. This created 2 different
 transients in the database in wp_options, that have a different dynamic
 part at the end:

 _site_transient_g_url_details_response_ab62baf1c770821f259d255001f7a9b9
 _site_transient_g_url_details_response_f6ce245428f26d29c355a44ceb3b9bf3

 This transient contains "g_url_details_response_" and is produced by file
 class-wp-rest-url-details-controller.php

 The value of such created transient is entire html from URL to which I
 link.

 I only want to add some external link in gutenberg editor. Why on earth is
 necessary to parse the entire html from URL to which I link?

 What if I will have for example 20 external affiliate links on one page
 and I will have 1000 such pages.

 This will unnecessarily bloat the database with useless and unnecessary
 data!

 How can I prevent the creation of transients whose name part contains
 "g_url_details_response_"?

 I tryed it using this filter:
 apply_filters( "pre_set_site_transient_{$transient}", mixed $value, string
 $transient )

 But it needs full transient name, which is created dynamically using this
 function

 private function build_cache_key_for_url( $url ) {
                 return 'g_url_details_response_' . md5( $url );
         }

 from file class-wp-rest-url-details-controller.php

 So please remove these pointless transients from wordpress or give users a
 way to prevent them from being created!

 Thank you for any reply,

 david