[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57942: DELETE key cannot be used for marging paragraphs, Backspace use wrong block type

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 17 22:15:02 UTC 2023

#57942: DELETE key cannot be used for marging paragraphs, Backspace use wrong block
type
--------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  thomask       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by costdev):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => reported-upstream
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 Hi @thomask, thanks for opening this ticket!

 > In every editor on Windows, if you have two consecutive paragraphs and
 you press Delete at the end of the first one, the paragraphs are merged.
 In WordPress it does not work.

 I tested with:
 - OS: Windows
 - Browsers: Chrome, Firefox and Edge
 - WordPress: 6.1.1, `trunk`, `trunk` with Gutenberg `trunk`

 In all of the above, the two paragraphs ''were'' merged.

 > Also Backspace behave wrongly - if you have e.g empty Header and then
 Paragraph and you click Backspace at the beginning of the paragraph, it
 merges content with the Header, so the result will be the Header with the
 content of previous paragraph. All windows editors in history will delete
 empty header in that case and the result would be the original paragraph.

 This is reproducible, and behaviour is different between Classic Editor
 and the Block Editor. This appears to have been reported upstream on the
 Gutenberg repository. See
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/21558 this issue] and let's
 continue the discussion there! 🙂

 -----

 For your future reference, problems in Gutenberg are tracked via GitHub
 issues, not Trac tickets. If an issue only occurs in the Block Editor/Site
 Editor/Gutenberg plugin, look at
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/ the open issues] and if it
 doesn't exist, [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/new/choose
 open a new issue] directly on the Gutenberg repository.

 -----

 I'll close this ticket as `reported-upstream` as only one of the two
 reported issues was reproducible, and the other has been reported
 upstream. Have a look at [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/
 the open issues] and see if the paragraph merging issue has been reported.
 If not, [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/new/choose open a
 new issue] to report this.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57942#comment:2>