[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57943: Massive SQL statement shown in Dashboard WordPress Events and News. WordPress database error Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet'

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 17 20:12:29 UTC 2023

#57943: Massive SQL statement shown in Dashboard WordPress Events and News.
WordPress database error Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet'
 Reporter:  ipajen                               |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by ipajen):

 Replying to [comment:1 nolanw92]:
 > Hi @ipajen,
 >
 > To allow this issue to be more easily reproducible, what value do you
 have `max_allowed_packet` set to?

 When this happened It was the default values in XAMPP

 From C:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini
 [mysqldump]
 max_allowed_packet=16M

 [mysqld]
 max_allowed_packet=1M

 Even if I try to set both the values to 0 KB and restart XAMPP it doesn't
 give the error again in Dashboard WordPress Events and News. But it shows
 a SQL statement in http://localhost/test/wp-admin/update-core.php

 As WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY is ON, should it show the full SQL statement in GUI ?
 If so its OK but the problem was when it happened in Dashboard WordPress
 Events and News and the data was massive and not sure why it wanted to
 save all the data.
 Part of the log it wanted to save:

 {{{
 Hey everybody, welcome back to post draft. Um, I don\'t even know what to
 characterize this, uh, this se, this interview, Brian. Um, but I\'ve got a
 very old longtime friend, not that he\'s old, just that we go way back.
 Um, to, when I started with WordPress, I found this guy named Brian
 Gardner. And so I thought, um, who better to talk about with WordPress
 being 20th this year, our 20th anniversary, um, Brian, who was
 instrumental in a lot of things that helped, um, Build and grow this cool
 ecosystem we call the business of WordPress.</p>\n\n\n\n<p>But anyway, um,
 Brian, welcome back. I think you\'ve been interviewed before, probably
 like by Brian or somebody. Yeah. But welcome, welcome to the post draft
 having me. Uh, one point of clarification. I am old. I\'m 48. Um, nearing,
 nearing 50. And in, you know, today\'s terms and. Even as it relates to
 [00:01:00] WordPress and people who are in this
 ecosystem.</p>\n\n\n\n<p>I\'m old and I\'m okay with that. Cause, uh,
 with, with that comes wisdom and experience and, uh, the ability to
 shepherd. So, uh, I embrace the stage of life that I\'m
 Well, you know, when we first started and met, we were in our thirties .
 Now we\'re in our forties, and it\'s like, uh, I thought there\'s a
 nostalgic fact to that.</p>\n\n\n\n<p>Absolutely. But also, yeah, you\'ve,
 you\'ve been there and seen things evolve over the years. Um, okay. So
 thank you for that. Thank you for being on, being on today. Um, I, uh, I
 wanted to talk a little bit about the past. Um, and tell me how you found
 know if I know the story, by the way.</p>\n\n\n\n<p>Yeah. You know, like
 it\'s been a while since I\'ve told the story. Um, and, and a lot of
 things I talk about, people still don\'t even understand what, what it was
 or what it was back in the day because it just, you know, they\'re
 [00:02:00] newer and stuff like that. Um, but I was working as a project
 manager at an architectural firm, and I just wanted to start writing and
 blogging.</p>\n\n\n\n<p>Blogging at
 }}}

 Not sure how to recreate the issue just in Dashboard WordPress Events and
 News.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57943#comment:3>