[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57580: strpos(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($haystack) of type string is deprecated in functions.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 16 00:18:35 UTC 2023

#57580: strpos(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($haystack) of type string is
deprecated  in functions.php
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  ipajen        |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Replying to [comment:5 hellofromTonya]:
 > I don't think type validation though should exist to only duplicate
 reporting type mismatches. It should instead exist when needed within the
 context of the code it's being applied to.

 > In this specific report, PHP is reporting the type mismatch. The
 function expects a `string` type. Passing a non-string is doing it wrong.
 The fix should be in the plugins, not in Core.

 Yeah, I agree we should not duplicate PHP notices. My thinking was more
 along the lines of trying to improve developer experience by providing a
 more comprehensible message where possible, as an extender may not always
 be an experienced developer, and the PHP notice it may not always be clear
 in context, especially if the function is not called directly and the
 incorrect parameter is somewhere in the call stack.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57580#comment:6>