[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37561: Inserting rewrite rules using the filter 'option_rewrite_rules' breaks 'WP_Rewrite::flush_rules()', causing 404 errors

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 2 18:04:33 UTC 2023

#37561: Inserting rewrite rules using the filter 'option_rewrite_rules' breaks
'WP_Rewrite::flush_rules()', causing 404 errors
---------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  maratbn        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  closed
Changes (by hellofromTonya):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => invalid

Comment:

 Hello @maratbn,

 Thank you for opening this ticket!

 As explained:
 >The `option_rewrite_rules` filter really isn't the right place to add
 rewrite rules, and IMHO makes this an invalid approach that makes this a
 Gravity Forms bug more so than a core issue.

 In review of past conversations, it seems the issue is more in how a
 plugin or theme is adding or changing rewrite rules, rather than following
 the tools available.
 >The proper way would be to filter on `rewrite_rules_array` or use
 `add_rewrite_rule()` (probably with the 3rd arg set totop).

 https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/add_rewrite_rule/

 https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/rewrite_rules_array/

 I'm closing this ticket as it does not seem to be a Core issue to resolve.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37561#comment:7>