[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57949: Make the search field placement consistent on small screens and add toggle button into toolbar

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jun 24 15:30:08 UTC 2023

#57949: Make the search field placement consistent on small screens and add toggle
button into toolbar
 Reporter:  oglekler                             |       Owner:  joedolson
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  accepted
  feedback has-patch                             |  accessibility
Changes (by joedolson):

 * keywords:  has-screenshots needs-design-feedback needs-patch => has-
     screenshots needs-design-feedback has-patch

Comment:

 I agree with @sabernhardt that adding a toggle to access the search would
 reduce findability and add an extra step to performing the function. On
 mobile, since scrolling and pagination are a tedious way to find things,
 I'd consider search to be the primary finding aid, so let's not add
 barriers to it.

 Patch:

 1) Moves the search form back above the posts table. This is a fairly
 significant accessibility issue - the search form had been moved below the
 posts table using position: absolute;, so it had a mismatched keyboard
 sequence.

 2) Adjusts mobile styles for search forms to be consistent.

 3) Changes the media list view search form to match the structure of other
 views, with a submit button & label that indicates the post type.

 4) Does *not* change the structure of the grid view. I'm not willing to
 remove the label in favor of a placeholder, as that would decrease the
 accessibility of the field. If we could add a submit button for the
 search, I'd remove the visible label, but that would be a significant
 rewrite of the media library search, and I'm not sure it's justified for
 this change.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57949#comment:14>