[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58467: `wp_get_global_styles`: return the standard format for CSS Custom Properties

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 21 09:52:13 UTC 2023

#58467: `wp_get_global_styles`: return the standard format for CSS Custom
Properties
--------------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  oandregal                 |       Owner:  oandregal
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by oandregal):

 Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I wasn't aware we were
 polyfilling those functions that are only available in PHP8+.

 I've looked at that ticket and
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58012 It seems there is debate
 about it being the right direction. I've also seen that there has been
 issues with these changes with `load-styles.php` due to the polyfills for
 those functions not being available. It requires wider testing.

 The timing is a bit off for me: we're right just before beta 6.3, and this
 sounds like a risky/involved change to do with no benefits. The
 opportunity cost is high. I wouldn't mind investigating and preparing an
 update to more modern PHP coding standards at some point, though it's not
 the right time for me to help with this refactoring.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58467#comment:8>