[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58368: WordPress dashboard is very slow when there are many comments (and the database isn't great)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 16 13:16:10 UTC 2023

#58368: WordPress dashboard is very slow when there are many comments (and the
database isn't great)
--------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  Guss77                    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  new

Comment (by Guss77):

 Replying to [comment:25 spacedmonkey]:
 > I think the biggest issue here is that comment_type does not have an
 index. I feel like it really should. This will likely fix these issues.

 I have tried all the indexing options - indexing helps to quickly find the
 rows that you need instead of performing a full table scan, but when
 trying to load all approved comments, that's almost all of them (we have
 required logins and very few unapproved comments), and then you have to
 sort all of the rows - which is the actual performance problem (as
 disabling sorting immediately fixes the proble), and an index will never
 help you sort.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58368#comment:26>