[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58368: WordPress dashboard is very slow when there are many comments (and the database isn't great)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 8 23:06:52 UTC 2023

#58368: WordPress dashboard is very slow when there are many comments (and the
database isn't great)
--------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  Guss77                    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  new

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 @FolioVision I don't think your comment is very helpful.

 I think there is potential for improvement here, otherwise I wouldn't have
 taken the time to provide a mini-plugin to avoid hacking Core and the
 subsequent pull request.

 That I am having trouble reproducing the issue is an indication I need
 assistance testing my patch on sites with a lot of comments.

 You can help move this ticket forward by testing the patch: that will
 allow committers to validate whether the approach works or whether another
 approach is needed. Data that will help:

 * provide performance results of the existing queries in Core.
 * provide performance results of the proposed patches
 * it would be most helpful to test the results both with and without
 object caching enabled
 * provide the database version and engine you are testing with -- how
 databases process queries without an `orderby` is undefined so the results
 can differ with different version/engine combinations

 When testing performance it's best to provide an average from multiple
 test runs, between 10 and 20. This will help account for environmental
 issues due to other processes running on the server.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58368#comment:22>