[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58603: Twenty Twenty-Three: Update font sizes to ensure accessible responsive typography

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 24 10:29:43 UTC 2023

#58603: Twenty Twenty-Three: Update font sizes to ensure accessible responsive
typography
 Reporter:  mikachan                             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by mikachan):

 > While we definitely would *like* to do this, we have some significant
 concerns about changing font sizing in an already released theme, and the
 impact that could have on user's existing designs.

 I understand; it's definitely not ideal to potentially impact so many
 existing designs with font size changes. The proposed changes only affect
 the XX-Large font size preset, so likely not the most popular size, but
 this still has the potential to impact existing designs at varying screen
 sizes.

 > Are the default font size presets, the ones provided by core,
 accessible?

 Good point! I've just created a blank theme and enabled fluid typography,
 these are the font sizes I see:

 Small: static `13px` ✅
 Medium: `clamp(14px, 0.875rem + ((1vw - 3.2px) * 0.882), 20px)`: 14/20 =
 0.7 ✅
 Large: `clamp(22.041px, 1.378rem + ((1vw - 3.2px) * 2.053), 36px)`:
 22.041/36 = 0.61 ✅

 So most of the presets are accessible fluid sizes apart from X-Large,
 which is just below the recommended 0.61 ratio.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58603#comment:9>