[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58368: WordPress dashboard is very slow when there are many comments (and the database isn't great)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 10 13:01:02 UTC 2023

#58368: WordPress dashboard is very slow when there are many comments (and the
database isn't great)
--------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  Guss77        |       Owner:  peterwilsoncc
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by Guss77):

 Replying to [comment:46 spacedmonkey]:
 > […]
 >
 > 0.0580
 >
 > VS
 >
 > […]
 >
 > 0.0521
 >
 > This doesn't exactly fix the problem.

 I can suggest that 50 milliseconds is quite fast, and possibly most of
 those 50ms is overhead that you can't decrease in your setup (such as just
 transferring the data). When you get to sub-100ms times, there's no a lot
 of improvement left to be had.

 I'm very glad to see that you've tested that this change has no negative
 effect! Thank you!

 On my setup - as I've explained multiple times on this ticket - the
 difference imparted by removing the `ORDER BY` clause from a query time of
 "many seconds" to "under a second". I wouldn't expect to see the same
 order of improvement when you start with a sub-0.1 seconds query time.

 I suggest that if you aren't looking at a significant query time (more
 than 0.1 seconds), you cannot reproduce the issue and therefor I wouldn't
 expect you to see an improvement by applying the fix.

 As the fix - according to your testing - has no negative effects, and as
 its (from an SQL syntax perspective) the Right Thing, how about we apply
 it anyway, to the earliest version possible - so we can have this issue
 resolved for the people that are experiencing this slow down?

 Thank you in advance.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58368#comment:47>