[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58698: Request for Geo-Blocking as an Integral Feature of WordPress in an Upcoming Release

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jul 2 21:04:58 UTC 2023

#58698: Request for Geo-Blocking as an Integral Feature of WordPress in an Upcoming
Release
-------------------------+-------------------------------
 Reporter:  rcnyc        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Security     |    Version:  6.2.2
 Severity:  critical     |   Keywords:  changes-requested
  Focuses:  privacy      |
-------------------------+-------------------------------
 WordPress, first of all, thank you so much for such a wonderful resource.
 With that being said, I am requesting a feature that I feel needs to be a
 critical component of WordPress.

 Please, Please, PLEASE have a feature in which a WordPress blog is only
 accessible/viewable to one's country by default, and you have to opt-in to
 publish to the world. Right now, I'm currently using IP2Location Country
 Blocker, and it's great, but I would like this integrated into WordPress
 as a core feature (within reason, of course).

 It can work like this:

 When new WP installation is launched--or new update implemented-- user is
 prompted into deciding which countries they would like the site to be
 viewable to, both on the front and backend. They can publish to their
 country, to specific countries, or to the world (which is the default
 right now).

 The reason why I’m asking this is that I didn’t realize what a problem it
 was to have the “world” be the default audience until 2-3 years ago, and
 now I’m seeing that this needs to be a critical feature. I am not going to
 give specifics as to why I want this, but suffice it to say, if someone is
 launching a community blog for, say, residents of Las Vegas, San
 Francisco, Chicago or wherever, the entire world does not need to be the
 default audience for this blog. People from the UK, Eastern Europe, New
 Zealand, the West Indies, don't need to not only be actively viewing your
 site but feeling compelled to comment and troll, or argue with you as if
 they were from your hometown.

 I have found, more and more, that most of the foreign nationals to my blog
 have been trolls from specific countries to the point where I just want
 those countries blocked, as opposed to just IP blocking troublemakers.

 So, this is what I'd like to request. I can always continue using a plugin
 but I think adding this would be openly welcomed by the WordPress
 community and a major enhancement to the functionality of WP.