[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57579: Deprecated: strip_tags(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in admin-header.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 29 22:37:29 UTC 2023

#57579: Deprecated: strip_tags(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type
string is deprecated in admin-header.php
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  ipajen        |       Owner:  (none)
Changes (by peterwilsoncc):

 * component:  Plugins => General
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 6.2

Comment:

 This is due to a change to `strip_tags` in PHP which started throwing a
 warning when `null` is passed to the function, and a fatal error passed
 for other values. [https://3v4l.org/qER07 See this example page for how
 PHP has changed error handling for the function.]

 Folks are currently discussing how to handle this in the helper function
 `wp_strip_all_tags()` on the ticket #56434.

 As WordPress calls `strip_tags()` directly in a number of cases, on this
 ticket let's discuss how to handle the deprecation warning elsewhere.

 I see two options:

 1. replace most calls to `strip_tags()` with calls to
 `wp_strip_all_tags()` -- this is a slight compatibility change as it will
 strip the contents of `<style>` and `<script>` tags, but I don't think
 that's a bad thing
 2. add `wp_strip_tags()` as a wrapper for `strip_tags()` to maintain the
 current behavior

 FWIW, I think option 1 is preferable as I think that's closer to the
 intended use of the function throughout WordPress.

 Thanks for the ticket, I've moved it to the 6.2 milestone for visibility
 and consideration.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57579#comment:1>