[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #3260: XML output (rss, atom, rdf ...) should always use UTF-8 or CDATA for user input

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 27 10:44:44 UTC 2023

#3260: XML output (rss, atom, rdf ...) should always use UTF-8 or CDATA for user
input
 Reporter:  deremder      |       Owner:  stevenkword
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by Mte90):

 Reading today this ticket, I am wondering if it still an issue.
 There is no specification about what kind of unicode is suggested for RSS.
 I had to deal with an RSS aggregator and the issue was to generate an RSS
 that works with the various input where everyone writes symbols not
 supported and so on.
 Probably wrap everything with CDATA will simplify many things, but it used
 only to avoid parsing as XML the content inside
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDATA.
 To avoid strange symbols, don't work, and it is a matter of unicode.

 Said so, as today there is a function that print as example the title
 https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/blob/0cb8475c0d07d23893b1d73d755eda5f12024585/src/wp-
 includes/feed.php#L156 that as a hook.
 This function use the wordpress `get_the_title`.

 In the case of the description https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/blob/0cb8475c0d07d23893b1d73d755eda5f12024585/src/wp-
 includes/feed.php#L27 that use
 https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/convert_chars/ that
 replace with ASCII symbols.

 As today I think that the ticket can be closed as it is a bug that doesn't
 happens anymore.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3260#comment:25>