[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56975: Replace the internal `WP_Theme_JSON_Resolver::theme_has_support()` with a public function

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 24 20:46:59 UTC 2023

#56975: Replace the internal `WP_Theme_JSON_Resolver::theme_has_support()` with a
public function
 Reporter:  oandregal                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  hellofromTonya
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by dmsnell):

 Thanks @flixos90 - I'm definitely not suggesting we ignore performance
 problems. My comment was supposed to say something more like "can we
 establish that the metrics we've collected amount to the scale of the
 problem we think they do?"

 To that end I suspect measuring real page renders with req/s might be more
 illustrative of the real performance impact, and also that we consider the
 hit-rate of the cache when thinking about standard recommended setups,
 including HTTP-server page caches that eliminate all of the code in
 question for the overwhelming majority of page renders.

 Again, the 48ms value seems wildly unexpected, and if a call to
 `file_exists()` can amount to that much time then something seems very
 wrong somewhere. A value of 4ms seems less surprising, though.

 Did anyone already mention or discuss how
 [https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.is-readable.php#refsect1-function
 .is-readable-notes is_readable()] is already cached by PHP? I thought the
 discussion centered around the filesystem access, but maybe it's more
 about `get_template_directory()`?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56975#comment:98>