[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56975: Replace the internal `WP_Theme_JSON_Resolver::theme_has_support()` with a public function

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 20 16:12:59 UTC 2023

#56975: Replace the internal `WP_Theme_JSON_Resolver::theme_has_support()` with a
public function
 Reporter:  oandregal                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  hellofromTonya
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by oandregal):

 > @oandregal I agree with @Otto42 here. It is a non-persistent cache, no
 need to clear it

 Isn't it the goal to make this cache and the other ones persistent?
 https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/pull/3712#issuecomment-1354459826 Why go to the trouble of adding
 something we plan to remove if it is not an issue?

 I can't help but feeling that we're running in circles. When I first
 created this PR, I was asked to implement it using object cache in a
 persistent way, which I did. At which point, I was asked to make it non-
 persistent, which I also did. And now we removed it altogether. We're back
 to what we were 3 months ago, but with the feature freeze for 6.2 a lot
 closer.

 At this point, I'd feel more comfortable with the following next steps:

 - Do not add any kind of cache in this method for now. We can revisit
 after 6.2 feature freeze if it proves to be a real issue in terms of
 performance (it's a bugfix we can ship).

 - Focus our time in shipping the two PRs we've been working on that fix
 long-standing issues https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/pull/3712 and add big performance improvements
 https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/3789 These cannot land
 after feature freeze.

 Would you think that would a viable way forward?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56975#comment:75>