[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53161: Twenty Twenty-One: Navigation block has a permanent theme-imposed background color

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 17 05:22:25 UTC 2023

#53161: Twenty Twenty-One: Navigation block has a permanent theme-imposed
background color
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  kjellr         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new

Comment (by poena):

 I can reproduce this in 5.9 to 6.2 alpha.

 The bug is worst in 5.9, theme versions 1.5 to 1.7.
 The block's background color setting makes the block look differently in
 the editor and front.
 In the editor, the background color setting of the block only fills the
 background color of the navigation items. While on the front it fills the
 entire navigation.

 ----

 For installs where the background color has only affected the navigation
 item links and buttons,
 changing it so that the background color is covering the entire navigation
 is a big visual change.
 However, we can consider that the theme is not a block theme, which means
 that these color changes are **not** affecting the main navigation areas
 that are part of the theme code. I think that reduces the impact.

 ----

 There is no way for the effected website owners to add background colors
 only to the navigation items. If the navigation items did have individual
 color settings, it would have been possible to restore the design.

 The post link inner block has a typography option, but the submenu and
 page list blocks do not have any styling options.
 Could we consider adding color options to these blocks in 6.2, and at the
 same time remove this faulty CSS from the theme?

 @mamaduka @ntsekouras @joen

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53161#comment:2>