[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57470: Copy and pasting from a document into the title field is including hidden html tags

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 16 02:26:19 UTC 2023

#57470: Copy and pasting from a document into the title field is including hidden
html tags
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  mikeyott            |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  General             |    Version:  6.1.1
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 As the title describes, if you copy and paste from a (Word) document and
 into the title field of a new or existing post, hidden html tags come
 along for the ride.

 **How to replicate**

 * Open a Word document that contains text with formatting. For example,
 italic text.
 * Highlight and copy the italicised text to the clipboard.
 * Create a new page.
 * Paste into the title field.
 * Click Publish.

 You will now see the confirmation dialogue read something like this...

 {{{
 <em>The page title here</em> is now live.
 }}}

 ...yes, with the actual html tags visible.

 When you view the **All Pages** screen, you will also see the title has
 the **<em>** opening and closing tags as well. The only way to remove them
 is to click **Quick Edit** and do it manually.

 I'm not sure if this has any security implications (maybe someone with
 that expertise can chime in here) but I do wonder how it would behave if
 someone was copy/pasting content from a website if the content contained a
 (malicious) **<script>** tag.

 **Note:** I was able to replicate this issue with all plugins disabled,
 running the latest version of Twenty Twenty-Three theme and latest version
 of WordPress 6.1.1 (latest at time of this bug report).