[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57310: Possibility to dismiss plugin update notification until next version or forever

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 11 13:30:50 UTC 2023

#57310: Possibility to dismiss plugin update notification until next version or
forever
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  abitofmind       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  new

Comment (by abitofmind):

 Thank you soo much for reacting that quickly and that concretely!
 - That way I could work on this, and finally solve this, and put it aside
 mentally!
 - It worked. And I can say: The whole process and UX as-is is totally
 sufficient! No need for a plugin.
   - B/c so far, if there had been issues with a plugin, I downgraded and
 reported, or I first read the changelog and decided against an update, and
 within a matter of days or weeks, the problem was usually at least
 addressed (fix a bit later, but at least some reaction).
   - And for that period of time the continuous update notification had the
 purpose of being reminded to check whether that was fixed meanwhile.
 - But when there's no reaction for 2 months+, then that update
 notification really becomes a big annoyance.
   - So far this was the absolute exception.
   - And for those few exceptions the "Must Use" plugin method as a means
 to keep a frozen plugin is perfect as-is!

 The only remaining followup:
 - Please integrate proper keywords into that official search article so
 that it becomes more prominent in search engine results. Keyword to
 include:

 > How do I keep a plugin frozen at a certain version? How do I disable
 auto-updates? How do I disable update notifications? My updates available
 badge over the plugins menu entry does not go away, how do I remove that
 badge counter?

 And regarding your hint, the documentation indeed mentions:

 > WordPress only looks for PHP files right inside the mu-plugins
 directory, and (unlike for normal plugins) not for files in
 subdirectories. You may want to create a proxy PHP loader file inside the
 mu-plugins directory: <code snippet>

 Even though I'm somehow tech-savvy, but the term `proxy PHP loader file`
 scared me off  as too technical. Proxy sounded more sophisticated than
 what it actually is. Had I read a term like "stub" file or "inclusion"
 file or similar, I may have even considered it. And being empty it does
 not convey the idea. Please include a more vivid example, that better
 conveys the idea, such as your code snippet. Also make use of the
 description field with a note "Why I keep that plugin frozen in version
 X.X". Then you as the reader immediately get the idea!

 Thanks again for all your input on this subject matter!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57310#comment:5>