[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting cookies.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 5 20:31:17 UTC 2023

#44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting
cookies.
-------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jepperask                      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                    |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by desrosj):

 * keywords:  needs-testing has-patch needs-dev-note close => needs-testing
     has-patch close
 * owner:  williampatton => (none)

Comment:

 Came across this ticket going through the report for tickets with the
 `close` keyword.

 Replying to [comment:49 johnbillion]:
 > As a site visitor I value my privacy and don't wish to be tracked bu
 YouTube around the web, but I also value the convenience of using features
 in the player that are present because I'm logged in, such as ad-free
 viewing, being able to save videos to a watch later list, and utilising
 viewing history. These concerns shouldn't be discounted just because an
 individual can use external tools to approximate this functionality.

 Currently, my stance is that I strongly agree with this and I am of the
 opinion that this is not something that should be addressed in Core.

 I would not be opposed to adjusting Core to be more receptive to
 ''allowing'' `youtube-nocookie.com` embeds, but I am a big -1 to making
 that the default experience and to exposing a UI for someone to make that
 choice in the editor.

 From what I've gathered from the discussion above so far (disclaimer that
 I'm not a lawyer or someone thoroughly versed in GDPR):
 - The nocookie domain is not GDPR compliant, so the proposed change would
 not help sites progress in that direction.
 - As documented above, the URL formats accepted for this domain are much
 different than the primary one. This could be really frustrating for
 content editors that are not well versed in this.

 From my perspective (and seemingly the perspective of several other Core
 Committers above), this seems like an instance of user preference and not
 one where a site owner should impose a preference on every visitor.
 Especially where the user does not have the ability to choose the regular
 experience. Where this change does not make a site GDPR compliant,
 allowing users to combine their used browser, add-ons/extensions,
 preferences, etc. to control how they consume content.

 I think this would be a great plugin.
 - The site owner could choose the preferred default domain.
 - Users with accounts could decide their own preference and see it
 reflected when they're viewing content on the site.
 - etc.

 I also disagree that the performance plugin is the best place to explore
 this.

 I am inclined to close this out as a `wontfix`. However, there are several
 regular Core contributors that do work at Google and I'd like to see about
 getting any thoughts they may have. I'll ping them separately and invite
 them to engage if they'd like to. For now, I'll leave this marked as
 `close` and return in a month or two to actually close if there is no
 change of heart for the committers that have stated their preference
 already. I'm also clearing the ticket owner since @williampatton expressed
 a willingness to step aside since the path forward was not clear.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44610#comment:62>