[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57765: mysqli_query call in wp-includes/wp-db.php generates fatal error during first run of WP with PHP 8.1

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 18 19:32:33 UTC 2023

#57765: mysqli_query call in wp-includes/wp-db.php generates fatal error during
first run of WP with PHP 8.1
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  lovingboth       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  closed
Changes (by lovingboth):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => invalid

Comment:

 I would be **absolutely certain** that it was 6.1.1 - this was a new
 install (hence it not finding the table) from a download of latest.tar.gz
 yesterday - and in my terminal scroll back, I can still see the editor
 saying it's editing public_html/site/wp-includes/wp-db.php around that
 line..

 .. except that if I look now, that file is only 450-odd bytes long and if
 I do a grep, I cannot find that added line anywhere on the server.

 Trying again reveals another change (in something that was never
 guaranteed to stay the same between versions, it just had for many, many
 years) since the last time I did an install has gently broken the script I
 use to set up WP sites and an old latest.tar.gz was being unzipped..

 .. so, yes, it was an old version of WP with the problem. At some point in
 the puzzling, it must have been overwritten, possibly via the automatic
 updates the script enables?

 Argh, my fault, not WP's.

 Thank you and how do I remove the evidence of my fallibility? :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57765#comment:3>