[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59969: Conditional loading `build_template_part_block_variations` for performance improvement

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 19 17:35:59 UTC 2023

#59969: Conditional loading `build_template_part_block_variations` for performance
improvement
 Reporter:  thekt12                              |       Owner:  thekt12
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by joemcgill):

 Hi @spacedmonkey! Thanks for checking in here. Your
 [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/4857 last PR] and
 initial explorations in
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/45601 the related Gutenberg
 ticket] have been the foundations of the continuing iteration that
 @thekt12 has been doing in his PR, as I see it.

 The main differences in the approaches so far are that we wanted to avoid
 relying on a filter to register callbacks for variations and experiment
 with allowing the `$variations` property to be a callable as well as an
 array of variation objects in order to get to the same result. I'm not
 confident that handling that kind of type juggling is going to work, since
 we can't be sure what third party code is expecting that property to only
 include an array of objects, so overloading that property with a magic
 getter or introducing a new method for hydrating variation data entirely
 might be necessary.

 I assume changing the `$variations` property to allow it to either be an
 array of objects or a callable is the main back-compat concern you have?
 If that's not correct, could you elaborate?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59969#comment:18>