[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60040: While installing a plugin using wordpress plugin installer, a directory seems to be missing

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Dec 9 00:52:09 UTC 2023

#60040: While installing a plugin using wordpress plugin installer, a directory
seems to be missing
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  rahal.aboulfeth  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
 When installing the Aiify Blocks plugin (slug: aiify) via the WordPress
 plugin installer at wp-admin/plugin-install.php, it appears that the
 directory created at wp-content/plugins/aiify is missing a crucial
 subdirectory named "aiify." This subdirectory typically contains the
 primary plugin block files. Consequently, this missing directory structure
 renders the plugin non-functional.

 **Steps to Reproduce:**

 - Access the WordPress dashboard (wp-admin).
 - Navigate to the plugin installation section (wp-admin/plugin-
 install.php).
 - Search for and install the Aiify Blocks plugin (slug: **aiify**).

 **Expected Behavior:**
 Upon installation via the WordPress plugin installer, the directory wp-
 content/plugins/aiify should contain a subdirectory named "**aiify**"
 housing the necessary plugin block files.

 **Actual Behavior:**
 The directory wp-content/plugins/aiify lacks the expected "aiify"
 subdirectory after installation using the WordPress plugin installer,
 causing the plugin to malfunction.

 **Temporary Solution:**
 Downloading the plugin directly from the URL
 https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/aiify.0.1.1.zip and unzipping it
 provides the correct directory structure with the necessary "aiify"
 subdirectory intact, resolving the issue temporarily.

 **Additional Information:**

 - WordPress Version: 6.3.2
 - Plugin Version: Aiify Blocks 0.1.1
 - Server Environment: The hosting environment is provided by
 app.getflywheel.com ( which seems to be based somehow on wp-engine )
 - Disclaimer : I'm the plugin developper, a user contacted me for support
 as he couldn't use the provided blocks, that's how I noticed the issue and
 the missing directory.

 This discrepancy in directory structure during installation impacts the
 functionality of the Aiify Blocks plugin ( and maybe other plugins ).

 **Investigation and Update:**
 While writing this ticket, I attempted to replicate the steps in
 wpsandbox.net (using WordPress 6.4), and the installation worked as
 expected. This suggests that the bug might be fixed or could be specific
 to the hosting environment.

 While planning to update the plugin and rename the problematic directory,
 I'm keen to understand why this "bug" occurred in the first place and if
 this irregularity might be specific to the hosting environment or is due
 somehow to a wordpress bug.