[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58770: Fetch priority and lazy loading attributes not applying correctly in block themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 31 17:01:39 UTC 2023

#58770: Fetch priority and lazy loading attributes not applying correctly in block
themes
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  spacedmonkey                 |       Owner:  spacedmonkey
     Type:  defect (bug)                 |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by flixos90):

 * owner:  flixos90 => spacedmonkey

Comment:

 After another review of this ticket, I am unsure about the next steps:
 * I cannot replicate the issue reported about the Site Logo. Adding a Site
 Logo in TT2, I see it correctly receive `fetchpriority="high"` if it's
 configured to be large enough, and it doesn't receive `loading="lazy"`.
 Potentially the report was made before WP 6.3 had implemented relevant
 fixes?
 * Regarding the images hard-coded in the theme, I am unsure how we can fix
 the issue holistically, other than developer education. For Twenty Twenty-
 Two specifically, I opened a standalone issue to focus on only that, see
 #59256. The same thing happens in the other referenced themes, but fixing
 that in core would involve some sort of extra parsing pipeline of block
 templates, to then load the image file referenced to extract the
 dimensions and put them into the template - which would probably be an
 effort too large to achieve for 6.4 (we have less than 4 weeks at this
 point).

 Let me know what you think @spacedmonkey. Realistically, I think we'll
 have to either close this issue (if we decide it's nothing to do for core)
 or punt it to "Future Release" (if we want to implement a central solution
 for core).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58770#comment:10>