[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59213: Disable the wp_safe_redirect(), or wp_redirect() in the register_activation_hook when batch activating plugins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Aug 26 13:28:19 UTC 2023

#59213: Disable the wp_safe_redirect(), or wp_redirect() in the
register_activation_hook when batch activating plugins
 Reporter:  rajinsharwar  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugins       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 For example, I have plugin A and plugin B. And plugin A has a
 wp_redirect() with the register_activation_hook to redirect the admin to
 the plugin's Settings page after activation.

 So now, if I try to batch activate both plugins, we will see that after
 activating plugin A, I am redirected to the settings page of plugin A, and
 plugin B didn't get activated because of this. So, in essence, it's
 breaking the activating loop without activating all the selected plugins.
 This is really annoying when you are debugging issues with plugins that
 all have redirection rules after activation.

 I am proposing to stop the execution of wp_redirect() whenever there is a
 batch activation of plugins. This behaviour is evident when using the
 troubleshooting mode of the Health Check & Troubleshooting plugin.