[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59196: Source files are copied onto themselves when running `grunt watch --dev` (`npm run dev`)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 24 20:25:51 UTC 2023

#59196: Source files are copied onto themselves when running `grunt watch --dev`
(`npm run dev`)
------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter       |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  assigned
Description changed by westonruter:

Old description:

> In the wordpress-develop repo, I have a plugin file located in `src/wp-
> content/plugins/`. I've also initiated `npm run dev` (`grunt watch
> --dev`). I noticed in PhpStorm when editing the plugin file that often
> the editor complains about the file being modified on disk and whether I
> want to reload the file or use the copy in memory. What I think is
> happening is that the editor is I'll make a change and save and then I'll
> make another change. After the save, the `watch` command picks up on the
> change to the file and it is copying the file onto itself and thus
> bumping the modified time, causing the editor to detect a conflict. It
> turns out that this is not only the case for files in `src/wp-
> content/plugins` but all source files. It seems that `grunt watch` is
> erroneously copying source files onto itself when using the `--dev`
> option.

New description:

 In the wordpress-develop repo, I have a plugin file located in `src/wp-
 content/plugins/`. I've also initiated `npm run dev` (`grunt watch
 --dev`). I noticed in PhpStorm when editing the plugin file that often the
 editor complains about the file being modified on disk and whether I want
 to reload the file or use the copy in memory. What I think is happening is
 that the editor is I'll make a change and save and then I'll make another
 change and save again after a couple seconds. After the first save, the
 `watch` command picks up on the change to the file and it is copying the
 file onto itself and thus bumping the modified time, causing the editor to
 detect a conflict at the second save. It turns out that this is not only

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59196#comment:1>