[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59196: Source files are copied onto themselves when running `grunt watch --dev` (`npm run dev`)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 24 20:24:06 UTC 2023

#59196: Source files are copied onto themselves when running `grunt watch --dev`
(`npm run dev`)
------------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter       |      Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  assigned
Component:  Build/Test Tools  |    Version:  4.4
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+-------------------------
 In the wordpress-develop repo, I have a plugin file located in `src/wp-
 content/plugins/`. I've also initiated `npm run dev` (`grunt watch
 --dev`). I noticed in PhpStorm when editing the plugin file that often the
 editor complains about the file being modified on disk and whether I want
 to reload the file or use the copy in memory. What I think is happening is
 that the editor is I'll make a change and save and then I'll make another
 change. After the save, the `watch` command picks up on the change to the
 file and it is copying the file onto itself and thus bumping the modified
 time, causing the editor to detect a conflict. It turns out that this is
 not only the case for files in `src/wp-content/plugins` but all source
 files. It seems that `grunt watch` is erroneously copying source files
 onto itself when using the `--dev` option.