[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58368: WordPress dashboard is very slow when there are many comments (and the database isn't great)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Aug 12 08:26:52 UTC 2023

#58368: WordPress dashboard is very slow when there are many comments (and the
database isn't great)
--------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  Guss77        |       Owner:  peterwilsoncc
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by Hareesh Pillai):

 I'm starting to think what is the harm in removing the `ORDER BY` clause
 if there is solid proof of no ''negative impact'' on the query
 performance. We seem to be focussed on verifying if there is a ''positive
 impact'' or not, and in an attempt to quantify that, we are overlooking
 the  non-negative impact. The fact that at least some environments would
 benefit from this change merits a commit, IMHO.

 And, of course, we should leave the discussion about adding an index to
 the `comment_type` column to the other ticket.

 To take this forward, I wish if we could try and answer this concern
 raised earlier:

 > You can help move this ticket forward by testing the patch: that will
 allow committers to validate whether the approach works or whether another
 approach is needed. Data that will help:

 > * provide the database version and engine you are testing with -- how
 databases process queries without an `orderby` is undefined so the results
 can differ with different version/engine combinations

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58368#comment:49>