[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59079: Draft Pages should not be shown in menus to those who can't see them (or possibly anyone)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 11 19:36:37 UTC 2023

#59079: Draft Pages should not be shown in menus to those who can't see them (or
possibly anyone)
 Reporter:  MadtownLems  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Menus        |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 Especially when the option to "automatically add new pages" to a menu is
 enabled, it's very easy to add Draft pages to a menu accidentally by
 publishing them and then reverting them to Draft status.

 When this happens, the menu now contains a menu item that links to
 something like mysite.com/?p=123 that just 404's for most visitors (and
 might even accidentally expose a page title they didn't want shown yet).

 I've spoken with more than a few users who made this mistake and had no
 idea that turning a Published Page back into Draft status would leave the
 menu item intact.

 I believe that menu items that represent items in Draft status should not
 be displayed in the menu on the front-end.

 I think someone could make the case they should appear to authenticated
 users who can edit the Page, but I don't believe they should be shown to
 anyone. I think them being present makes it very easy to confuse site
 owners on what the site looks like to a normal visitor, both in terms of
 the menu but also the page itself, as viewing a page in draft status has
 no clear indicator that they're viewing a page in draft status.