[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57311: WP ENV installs latest xdebug without option to control the extension version

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 11 14:37:55 UTC 2023

#57311: WP ENV installs latest xdebug without option to control the extension
version
-------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  udidol                   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new
Changes (by desrosj):

 * keywords:  needs-patch => close reporter-feedback

Comment:

 I'm not sure this is something we can fix here.

 One clarification, the `wp-env` package is
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/tree/trunk/packages/env maintained
 over in the Gutenberg repository]. The Docker setup for local WordPress
 development is found and maintained within this SVN repository.

 The main difference, by default, is that `wp-env` uses the
 [https://hub.docker.com/_/wordpress "official" (really unofficial) images
 that are maintained by the Docker team] instead of the
 [https://github.com/WordPress/wpdev-docker-images images that the
 WordPress team maintains]. These are updated in the [https://github.com
 /docker-library/wordpress corresponding GitHub repository]. However, it
 seems that they [https://github.com/docker-
 library/wordpress/blob/master/versions.json no longer release PHP 7.4
 updates] and only update images for the most recent version of WP.

 I did look within `wp-env`, though, and it seems that you're right in
 saying that package is managing xDebug within the container, but there is
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/blob/7050a7b9b6453296502fe3742832c77d2d74da56/packages/env/lib
 /init-config.js#L291-L296 hard coded exception for PHP 7.x] where only up
 to `xdebug-3.1.6` is used. Using xDebug on PHP < 7.2
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/blob/7050a7b9b6453296502fe3742832c77d2d74da56/packages/env/lib
 /init-config.js#L283-L284 also explicitly returns an error].

 It looks like this was
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/46635#issuecomment-1361605814
 suggested here] and added in
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/50490 GB-50490], which
 roughly aligns with when this ticket was opened originally.

 @udidol could you do some testing to see if that has been resolved for
 you? I was unable to reproduce with the latest version of `wp-env`.

 Adding a suggestion to `close` as `worksforme` since I'm unable to
 reproduce.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57311#comment:3>