[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58160: HTML API: Fix case where updates are overlooked when seeking to earlier locations.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 19 21:51:07 UTC 2023

#58160: HTML API: Fix case where updates are overlooked when seeking to earlier
locations.
--------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dmsnell       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  HTML API      |    Version:  6.2
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  has-patch needs-unit-tests
  Focuses:                |
--------------------------+----------------------------------------
 [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/4345 GitHub PR#4345]

 In certain cases when seeking to an earlier location in a document after
 changes have been enqueued, the tag processor will lose the earlier
 changes.

 In this patch we're fixing the bug so that it properly retains the changes
 that were applied before the call to seek().

 The problem was that when changes had already been applied and no more
 were enqueued, the tag processor was returning the updated HTML without
 updating its internal state to reflect that. This was probably an
 optimization for that case but I can't remember exactly why it doesn't
 update the internal pointers (@adamziel maybe you remember?). The fix is
 simple: mirror the second case and update the internal pointers.

 cc: @ockham