[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt Text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 10 20:07:36 UTC 2023

#55535: Pre-populate Image Alt Text field with IPTC Photo Metadata Standard Alt
Text
-------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  eatingrules              |       Owner:  joedolson
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by audrasjb):

 * keywords:  needs-patch => needs-patch 2nd-opinion

Comment:

 Hi there, I have a quick question about this proposal. It seems to me that
 the alt text of an image should not only describe the image alone, but
 should describe it in the context where the image is used.

 For example, the photo of a green gourd could have different alt texts:
 - On an mountain equipment ecommerce website, the alt text could be "Green
 steel hiking gourd" to describe the product
 - On a photographer's site, the same photo might have a more technical alt
 text "Photo with motion blur - aperture priority mode"
 - On a hiking blog where the photo would only be decorative, we would
 rather have an empty alt text.

 Since everything depends on the context in which the photo is inserted,
 wouldn't it be better to avoid generating the alternative text
 automatically from the exif data?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55535#comment:34>