[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55119: Deprecated: preg_match(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($subject) of type string is deprecated in /home/peoplesofthesalmon/public_html/wp-includes/block-supports/layout.php on line 167

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 6 14:04:09 UTC 2023

#55119: Deprecated: preg_match(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($subject) of type
string is deprecated in /home/peoplesofthesalmon/public_html/wp-includes
/block-supports/layout.php on line 167
 Reporter:  oneearth27                           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new
Changes (by hellofromTonya):

 * keywords:  php81 has-patch => php81 reporter-feedback needs-testing-info

Comment:

 The title of this ticket has been fixed. But the description has 2
 different deprecations, which may not be related to one another:

 >Also in the dashboard, there are some repetitions of the same message
 (the first part of the message seems to be blocked by the black left
 column):
 >`null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in
 /home/peoplesofthesalmon/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line
 2761`

 Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce these `null to non-nullable` deprecations
 with this testing environment:
 * Localhost: Docker with `wp-env`
 * PHP: 8.1
 * WordPress: 6.2
 * Theme: Twenty-twentytwo TT2
 * Plugins: none
 * Content: default fresh install
 * Testing constants set `wp-config.php`:
 {{{#!php
 define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
 define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
 define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true );
 define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );
 define( 'WP_ENVIRONMENT_TYPE', 'local' );
 }}}

 I'm curious if the `null to non-nullable` has already been resolved
 indirectly by a fix that then invoked one of the formatting functions. To
 further investigate, more information is needed from @oneearth27.

 @oneearth27 you noted:
 >The problem occurs even when all the plugins are deactivated. The default
 2022 theme is being used.

 By "problem occurs", does this apply to the `null to parameter #1
 ($string) of type string is deprecated in formatting.php`? In other words
 with all plugins deactivated and using 2022 (TT2) theme, do you still get
 these specific deprecations in your server logs?

 If yes:
 * Does it happen on specific webpages, only in the admin or front-end, or
 all the time?
 * Does it happen on WordPress 6.x, such as the latest 6.2?

 Any additional information you can provide could help contributors
 investigate, including steps of how to reproduce.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55119#comment:7>