[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55019: Missing the Upload Featured image and Categories option after update the WP 5.9

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 16 21:44:50 UTC 2022

#55019: Missing the Upload Featured image and Categories option after update the WP
5.9
 Reporter:  Kuuuzya                              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by jhmonroe):

 **Hey! I had this exact same problem and solved it finally!**
 I was also missing Featured Image/Categories/Tags (in WP 6.1.1) no matter
 which theme I used.

 **Troubleshooting Steps:**
 1) Tried all the obvious solutions forums suggest: screen options/sidebar
 prefs for gutenberg editor, deactivated plugins, use a WP 20XX theme,
 reinstalled WP core, tried Site Health/Troubleshooting mode etc. None
 solved.

 2) Was going to try all those tests on my localsite installation and the
 missing sidebar items already showed up. So I knew it had to do with my
 remote site only.

 3) One article mentioned regenerating permalinks. This did not solve, but
 it reminded me when I've had very mysterious problems in the past that
 nothing else seems to solve, it was often conflicts/corruption in the
 .htaccess file (articles always mention re: permalinks and regenerating
 your .htaccess file)

 4) Made a backup of .htaccess file on remote site.

 5) Made a new .htaccess file and copied all the correct info back into it
 (I noticed there were some old PHP commands in there related to my old
 site, and possibly some duplicate rules from old SSL plugins etc. I also
 noticed my webhost had recently added some new rules during a server
 migration that perhaps were causing some conflict with existing duplicate
 rules). Saved file back to remote site via FTP.

 6) The missing Featured Image, Categories, Tags etc sidebar items all
 reappeared!

 Not sure why the WP core selectively turned off only these three things
 due to an htaccess file, but the experts surely will... perhaps there's
 some failsafe that can be added to prevent this. :-)

 **I saw this issue in many forums and all the posts were closed even
 though not totally solved. I hope whoever has this issue comes across this
 solution!**

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55019#comment:4>