[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57310: Possibility to dismiss plugin update notification until next version or forever

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Dec 10 23:22:26 UTC 2022

#57310: Possibility to dismiss plugin update notification until next version or
forever
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  abitofmind       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  new

Comment (by costdev):

 Hi @abitofmind, thanks for opening this ticket and for the very detailed
 user story!

 Here are some thoughts I have about this proposal:

 **Does this benefit 80%+ of WordPress users now, or in the future?**
 - I have no doubt that this feature would get a lot of use. That's what
 concerns me.
 - Most site owners don't stay informed about the changelog for all of the
 plugins on their site. An option to ignore a single plugin update, or all
 updates for a plugin, is likely to be a frustrated decision rather than an
 informed decision. i.e. "I want to remove these notices so I don't need to
 look at them".
   - Note: This is not a judgement against site owners, but rather an
 observation from having worked with hundreds of site owner clients
 worldwide. Reading changelogs is not part of their job description, and
 they already have a busy day ahead.

 - Keeping WordPress, plugins and themes up to date is critical. Making it
 easier to ignore updates forever is not in the interests of most site
 owners, their users, plugin/theme authors, or the WordPress project.

 **What is already available?**
 - When a site owner chooses not to enable auto-update, they are
 effectively saying "Let me choose if/when this plugin gets updated".
 - Extenders can hook the `in_plugin_update_message-{$file}` action to add
 markup to the update notice. This means the functionality could be added
 by a plugin, rather than being added to Core and every WordPress website.
 - A plugin can be moved to the `mu-plugins` directory if it needs to stay
 at a certain version and the site owner doesn't want the plugin included
 in update counts/notices. **Note: I do ''not'' recommend doing this.**
 - A filter callback can be written to prevent certain plugins from
 displaying update notices. **Note: I do ''not'' recommend doing this.**

 Core encourages site owners to keep their websites up to date, and I think
 making it easier not to update runs counter to that goal. I can empathise
 with the "tax on administrative attention". I manage a lot of client
 sites, so I see a lot of plugin update notices as I log into each one (and
 then proceed to update said plugins).

 Where you, I and others might stay informed about the changelog of each
 plugin update, this is not the case for the majority of site owners, so
 I'd veer heavily on not introducing this feature to Core.

 -----

 Adding `2nd-opinion` to get others' views on this.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57310#comment:1>