[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57293: Twenty Twenty-One: Incorrect Mastodon domain (mastodon.com) for Social Icon in Footer Menu

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 9 02:10:30 UTC 2022

#57293: Twenty Twenty-One: Incorrect Mastodon domain (mastodon.com) for Social Icon
in Footer Menu
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  triumvirate    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 You're right, there are higher security concerns with oEmbed providers
 than with including social networks in the block editor and predefined
 social menus within default themes.

 My primary concern forming a policy for Mastodon are about reducing the
 burden of support by adding and removing servers in each release. The sort
 of questions I'd ask are:

 * How long has the server been active for?
 * How many users does the server have, what percentage are active?
 * How many toots are sent on a daily basis?

 A most-popular servers list is a good start, thank you, but I thinking
 firming up some criteria is an important initial step as long term
 contributors are likely to continue maintaining the list.

 For context, based on the numbers I found online, Twitter was added as an
 oembed provider once it passed 100M users. The bar can be lower for social
 network links, but whether than be 1%, 10% or whatever needs to be
 decided.

 Are you willing to assist with starting a discussion on
 make.wordpress.org/core -- it's the best spot to form policy such as this?

 I know I sound negative, I do support mastodon and like the idea of it a
 lot! I'm mainly trying to be practical as it increases in popularity.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57293#comment:4>