[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33566: Keyboard shortcuts for all functionality of Dashboard + Admin Menu while in read mode (was: Keyboard shortcuts for all functionality on the dashboard)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 7 13:45:19 UTC 2022

#33566: Keyboard shortcuts for all functionality of Dashboard + Admin Menu while in
read mode
----------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  tady            |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by abitofmind):

 Extended scope the original issue title
   Keyboard shortcuts for all functionality on the dashboard

 and reflected this in the new title:
   Keyboard shortcuts for all functionality of Dashboard + Admin Menu while
 in read mode

 == I think the time is ripe to consider implementing this!

 - The Gutenberg Block Editor now has centralized and very extensive
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/block-editor/reference-guides/components
 /keyboard-shortcuts/ keyboard-shortcuts] using
 [https://craig.is/killing/mice Mousetrap].
 - Real efficiency and UX improvement for Pro users. And meanwhile standard
 in mainstream web apps.

 == I hope it is ok that I used an existing issue for this

 - I think it makes little sense to create the "Admin Menu" aspect of
 shortcuts as a separate issue.
 - This is a wholistic matter: Shortcuts outside of the Gutenberg Block
 Editor lifecycle.
 - In addition to the scope of the Dashboard also while viewing a page/post
 in read mode and being logged in, it would be great to quickly trigger the
 commands available in the admin menu (also when the menu's
 position/visibility/style is altered by a plugin such as
 [https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-admin-bar/ Better Admin Bar])

 == From the reading context directly to the intended
 creative/editorial/administrative action
     - **Edit Page** (e.g. "E" or "⌘ E") -- Most important one -- Always
 catch myself doing this (habit from Confluence Wiki)
     - Create New Post -- Also quite frequently: Reading existing content
 gives idea for new/missing post/page.
     - Create New Page -- Maybe as a distinct command, or a general "Create
 New" command which opens an intermediary popup for choosing the content
 type (again keyboard accessible).
     - Open Dashboard
     - Open Comments
     - Etc