[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53450: [WP_Meta_Query] Add faster LIKE based 'STARTSWITH' and 'ENDSWITH' compare modes for value query

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 8 13:46:27 UTC 2021

#53450: [WP_Meta_Query] Add faster LIKE based 'STARTSWITH' and 'ENDSWITH' compare
modes for value query
 Reporter:  janthiel                             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new

Comment (by manzwebdesigns):

 Replying to [comment:15 janthiel]:
 > Replying to [comment:14 manzwebdesigns]:
 > > The only suggestion I would make is to make the following changes,
 moving 'contains' to the beginning of the list of accepted options:
 > > {{{
 > > @type string $compare_key_like_mode  Search mode for LIKE compares.
 Accepts 'contains', 'startswith ' or
 > >                                      'endswith'. Default is
 'contains'.
 > > @type string $compare_like_mode      Search mode for LIKE compares.
 Accepts 'contains', 'startswith ' or
 > >                                      'endswith'. Default is
 'contains'.
 > > }}}
 >
 > Hi @manzwebdesigns Thank you very much for your input. Could you be so
 kind and explain to me ''why'' you propose this change?
 > I didn't spend much thinking about the order of the comment till now :-)
 Yet when considering it, all orders are kind of reasonable. Alphabetical
 would be as well as a "logical" order where "contains" would be between
 "startsWith" and "endsWith". My current implementation groups "...with"
 and closes with "contains". So it is kind of similar to your suggestion.
 Just reversed.

 > Just curious.
 >
 > Thanks, Jan :-)

 Hi @janthiel,

 You are very welcome.  I just noticed that the other parameters' default
 options were listed first... it is fine either way, but when I do this, I
 always put the default option first.

 Thanks,
 Bud

--