[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54265: Updates UI: offer multiple variations of available updates nags to highlight older updates

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 14 15:39:10 UTC 2021

#54265: Updates UI: offer multiple variations of available updates nags to
highlight older updates
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jeherve             |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install     |    Version:
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:  shiny-updates
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Today, when an update is available for one of your plugins, for Core, or
 for a theme, the update notice is always the same:

 - It uses a single and consistent color across the different wp-admin
 screens.
 - The update messager remains the same until you've update the
 plugin/theme/core.

 While that works, I wonder if there could be an opportunity to better
 emphasize the need to update things on your site.

 Google Chrome comes to mind: its update warning is first green, then turns
 yellow and then red to highlight the need to update.

 I wonder if WordPress could do something similar:

 - If an update has been available for less than a month, have the notice
 displayed the way we display it today.
 - If that update has been available for 2 to 3 months, have the notice
 turn more yellow / be more of a warning.
 - If that update has been available for more than 3 months, have the
 notice turn red.

 We may even want to be more granular there; core security releases would
 be red right away for example.

 Somewhat related: #33374