[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting cookies.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 2 13:48:33 UTC 2021

#44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting
cookies.
 Reporter:  jepperask                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  williampatton
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  note                                           |

Comment (by adakaleh):

 Replying to [comment:45 xkon]:
 > forcing things isn't the way to go

 At the moment WordPress "forces" youtube.com embeds. There is no way
 around it: Wordpress must have a default. Wordpress currently defaults to
 surveillance.

 Replying to [comment:44 johnbillion]:
 > As much as I dislike being tracked around the internet, not being able
 to add a video to my Watch Later list is more of an annoyance.

 Seriously? You can bookmark the link and... watch it later.

 The extent to which we've been conditioned to undervalue our privacy never
 ceases to amaze me. This is why we're sliding into
 [https://www.ted.com/talks/zeynep_tufekci_we_re_building_a_dystopia_just_to_make_people_click_on_ads
 dystopia].

 I agree that there are a few problems with changing the default:
 - the CSP issue
 - some people will complain about slight loss in functionality

 Companies that want to track people are always going to make it hard for
 us to choose privacy. We have a duty to push back and reverse this: the
 least private option should be the hardest to choose.

 Replying to [comment:45 xkon]:
 > The 'default' choice of users, whether we like it or not still is
 youtube.com

 That is Google's choice. Most users go along with the default without
 understanding what it entails. It's the resposiblity of developers like us
 to choose an ethical default.

 Alas, we have a disagreement about the value of privacy. In that case...

 Replying to [comment:44 johnbillion]:
 > I was under the impression this would be an optional way to embed (eg.
 by pasting a youtube-nocookie URL)

 I'll prepare a pull request to do just that. It will be an adaptation of
 @jepperask's code.

 Replying to [comment:45 xkon]:
 > Optimally there should be an option for example when youtube urls are
 identified with maybe a UI (simple input option) asking if they want to
 convert it to a youtube-nocookie. Or simply offer an extra youtube-
 nocookie embed.

 Indeed, something like this would be better, but I'm not familiar enough
 with WordPress's codebase to implement it. Would be great if someone did.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44610#comment:46>