[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53119: Tests: introduce naming conventions for data providers and use named test cases

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 30 21:44:58 UTC 2021

#53119: Tests: introduce naming conventions for data providers and use named test
cases
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jrf               |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  task (blessed)    |      Status:  new

Comment (by pbiron):

 Replying to [comment:7 jrf]:
 > In my ''opinion'', test ''helper'' functions should always be at the
 bottom of a test class (or in an abstract test case). What do you think ?

 Whenever possible, I like them in an abstract test case class (e.g.,
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/tests/phpunit/includes
 /testcase-xml.php#L12  WP_Test_XML_TestCase::loadXML()]), which I wrote
 when XML Sitemaps were added to core.  Note that that method contains an
 assertion, but it is basically a helper for other sitemaps tests (e.g.,
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/tests/phpunit/tests/sitemaps
 /sitemaps-renderer.php#L137
 Test_WP_Sitemaps_Renderer::test_get_sitemap_index_xml_extra_elements()]).

 As @SergeyBiryukov mentioned, for things like `add_{action|filter}()`
 callbacks, near where they are used is my preference.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53119#comment:11>