[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51827: When a plugin makes use of the 'automatic_updater_disabled' filter, it causes a PHP Warning to be thrown.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Nov 21 16:53:10 UTC 2020

#51827: When a plugin makes use of the 'automatic_updater_disabled' filter, it
causes a PHP Warning to be thrown.
 Reporter:  jamesros161                          |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by pbiron):

 Replying to [comment:13 azaozz]:
 > The logic is/should be that if `AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED` is set and
 false, it is equivalent to not being set

 That's what I meant by "the original logic is incorrect" because it does
 **not** do act like that.

 > Thinking perhaps this should use `WP_Automatic_Updater::is_disabled()`
 instead of trying to duplicate the logic? It already uses the
 WP_Automatic_Updater to check for version control.

 **YES**: calling `is_disabled()` instead of (incorrectly) recreating
 ''most'' of it's logic is a great idea.

 Note to others testing, if you have `wp-admin/update-core.php` loaded in
 your browser and you then make changes that cause `wp_is_file_mod_allowed(
 'automatic_updater' )` to return false and then reload in your browser
 you'll get a `Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page.` error from
 WP...that is to be expected, since the Updates screen is not allowed when
 file mods are disallowed :-)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51827#comment:15>