[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50531: Standardise the terminology used for hooks, actions, and filters in documentation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 11 21:30:56 UTC 2020

#50531: Standardise the terminology used for hooks, actions, and filters in
documentation
------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  johnbillion                   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  task (blessed)                |      Status:  new
Changes (by johnbillion):

 * keywords:  has-patch php8 2nd-opinion => has-patch php8 needs-refresh

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:4 jrf]:
 > What about calling things by what they are ? `$tag` becomes `$hook_name`
 and the callback function hooked into it becomes `$callback` or
 `$callback_function`.

 Sorry I missed this comment. While the terminology I proposed makes sense
 in my head, I can see that it's not necessarily any clearer than what we
 have currently. I think you're right that `$hook` or `$hook_name` combined
 with `$callback` is clearer.

 I'll work on a new PR.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50531#comment:7>