[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47510: Developer tool - Best Practice - input comment field Does not use passive listeners

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 27 23:32:37 UTC 2020

#47510: Developer tool - Best Practice - input comment field Does not use passive
listeners
------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  efilippucci             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  new
  refresh                           |
------------------------------------+--------------------------------------

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 Replying to [comment:29 slkfsdf8y34ljhsfsdfkuhfkl84hj]:
 > What kind of action is needed for this to move forward....?

 In order to use passive listeners the handlers need to be written in a way
 that does not rely on `event.preventDefault()`. I don't think this is
 possible as the handlers prevent the browser from following the link (a
 non-JavaScript fallback) but I'm happy to hear from other contributors.

 Lighthouse is an automated tool that warns based on rules of thumb. By
 avoiding the need to visit a new page to reply to a comment, the commenter
 is able to reply immediately rather than waiting for a new page to load
 and render.

 I'd caution against blindly following the recommendations of any automated
 tool, as it can [https://www.matuzo.at/blog/building-the-most-
 inaccessible-site-possible-with-a-perfect-lighthouse-score/ lead to
 problems in itself].

 As I said, if the listeners can be rewritten so they don't need
 `event.preventDefault()` without removing the fallback then I am happy for
 this to move forward.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47510#comment:30>