[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52066: Application Passwords are unusable in combination with password protected /wp-admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 14 10:54:25 UTC 2020

#52066: Application Passwords are unusable in combination with password protected
/wp-admin
-----------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  SeBsZ                  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)           |     Status:  new
Component:  Application Passwords  |    Version:  5.6
 Severity:  major                  |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                         |
-----------------------------------+-----------------------------
 We've been using the Application Passwords for years to allow our REST-API
 to make use of authentication using basic auth. This worked perfectly
 fine.

 Now, in WordPress 5.6.0 Application Passwords seems to have been merged
 into the main code, and suddenly we can't create new passwords because
 basic Auth has been detected in use on the site. The discussion and
 changeset that caused this are here: #51939

 I totally understand that site-wide basic auth using .htaccess clashes
 with Application Passwords - but we only use .htaccess basic auth
 protection on the /wp-admin folder. There's absolutely not reason we
 should be blocked from creating new Application Passwords.

 I don't know how you could solve this - either allow us to dismiss the
 warning and use AP  anyway - or you might need another method to only
 detect conflicting basic auth on the REST API side - which may be
 impossible to do.

 I've set the severity to major because we have upgraded to 5.6 and can now
 no longer create new authentication tokens for our REST API users.

 Many thanks for your help.