[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51976: Core update footer displays incorrect message when on current release -- sometimes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 9 16:06:31 UTC 2020

#51976: Core update footer displays incorrect message when on current release --
sometimes
---------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  afragen                    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)               |      Status:  new

Comment (by pbiron):

 This ticket came about from a conversation Andy and I were having last
 night.

 Suppose I'm running 5.6 and have configured core updates to only happen
 for RCs (either with the Beta Tester plugin or by `define(
 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', 'rc' )`.  As it stands, for several months the
 footer will show `You are using a development version (5.6). Cool!` which
 is not true (it might as well say `The moon is made of green cheese.` :-).

 Previously, that incorrect message would only show for at most 12 hours
 (when the next auto-update happens and then the site would be on `trunk`).
 But now with the ability to only auto-update to betas and/or RCs it could
 be showing for **much** longer...and the string should be corrected.

 The only suggestion would be to, ''maybe'', use the logic from the Beta
 Tester plugin to show what the "next development version" will be based on
 the current settings.  That is, Beta Tester (in it's Settings screen
 shows: ` version 5.7-RC1, or 5.7, whichever is released first.`).  Not
 sure if that's worth the trouble, but something to consider.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51976#comment:1>